Re: Lots of problems with Debian unstable on Matrox G200

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 06:07:24PM -0700, Mukundan Sudarsan wrote:
> I just updated to the latest Xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-1 and suddely my x
> window systm won't work anymore. It was working with the previous
> version of the xfree86 server.

Are you subscribed to this list?

The appropriate list for user support issues is debian-user.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Matrox Graphics, Inc. Millennium G200"
> 	Driver		"mga_hal"
> 	VideoRam	16000
> EndSection

This looks like a problem.  Why are you trying to use "mga_hal", and not
"mga"?

Also, why are you explicitly specifying a quantity of video RAM?  Have
you read the corresponding debconf question?

Template: xserver-xfree86/config/device/video_ram
Type: string
 Typically, the amount of dedicated memory your video card has is autodetected
 by the X server, but some integrated video chips (such as the Intel i810)
 have little or no video memory of their own, and instead borrow main system
 memory for their needs.
 .
 It is perfectly acceptable to leave this parameter blank; only if your video
 card lacks RAM, or if the X server has trouble autodetecting the amount, is
 it necessary to specify the amount of video RAM.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I'm sorry if the following sounds
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    combative and excessively personal,