[kouhia@nic.funet.fi: Debian/XFree86/Intel 815?]

----- Forwarded message from Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@nic.funet.fi> -----

From: Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@nic.funet.fi>
To: branden@debian.org
Subject: Debian/XFree86/Intel 815?
Date:	Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:47:24 +0200

Hello. I installed the recent Debian 2.2 rev 2. The problem is that
its X doesn't seem to support Intel 815 chipset.

I downloaded a patch from Intel's webpages (search for "Linux driver")
which is against 3.3.6-something. I thought that I were able to
patch the patch at least manually, but now that I opened the Debian
xfree86 sources, there are tens of patches the Debian scripts seem
to apply to the sources and there are plenty of other scripts. It looks
now too complicated for me.

I also downloaded xfree86 version 4.0.1 original sources. I installed
them okay, but now that I have seen that Debian scripts does plenty of
arrangements, it might be that version 4.0.1 worked only because I already
had those 3.3.6 arrangements applied (I installed the 3.3.6 from Debian
discs earlier). In any way, I must have misread the announces at the
Xfree86 webpages because it doesn't have support to Intel 815 either.
(But Intel says they have submitted patches against 4.0.* version.)

So, regarding 3.3.6 version, would you please tell me shortly how to get
the Debian scripts in the source package running, and get the X installed
from sources? There should be some timeframe in which I should apply the
815 patch to the sources, i.e., Debian scripts should not start the
compilation immediately.

Really I would like to install the latest Xfree86, version 4.0.1 or
later. Is there any good reason why Debian still uses 3.3.6 version?

If you are interested in to check versions 4.0.1 and later with the 815
patch, then I'm willing to help you more (and learn more about maintaining
Debian packages). My own free software projects are now freezed because
I don't have the X Window System --- I would like to do something for
the situation than just to sit and wait. We could ask XFree86 people
for the 815 patch, pack 4.* version with the patch(es) as Debian package,
and I would test it in my Linux. How about that?

 -*-

By the way, I had problems with the mouse. While the mouse is PS2, and
gpm recognizes it okay, the X doesn't recognize it to be a PS2 mouse.
Only setting it as MicroSoft mouse helps but then the middle button is
missing no matter what I set. I even tried to use gpm as mouse-input
for X. I have no idea why gpm works but X doesn't with the same mouse
(Logitech, three buttons and roll on the middle button).

Best regards,

Juhana

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |      "I came, I saw, she conquered."  The
Debian GNU/Linux               |      original Latin seems to have been