[Fwd: [Xpert] Re: XFree86 4.0.2 build problem on Linux (solution?)]

Christian, I hope this solves your building problems.

Merry christmas to everyone,

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project
--- Begin Message ---
Hello!

Frédéric L . W . Meunier wrote:

> Thomas Kalla wrote:
>
> > So, I reached the end, I don't know what could I else do.
>
> Maybe we should wait a response from the XFree86 developers? I
> really don't think my system is broken, and I can't say that
> it's XFree86's fault, but if you're able to build 4.0.1 and
> 4.0.2 fails...

I changed my mind, deleted "the end" and decided to not give up ;-))) The main
reason was, that I wanted to get 4.0.2 compiled before X-Mas and it took me too
long to wait for the developers ;-)

So I looked into the code of libXfont because there was the undefined reference
to 'xfree'. In xc/lib/font/include I found 'xfree' in "fontmisc.h" as '#define
xfree(p)  Xfree((pointer) p)'. Then I looked into the static libXfont.a with "nm
-s libXfont.a" searching for 'xfree'. And really, I found it once, belonging to
the part "fontfcn.o", while 'Xfree' was found several times. It seems that there
is a missing definition of 'xfree' in "fontfcn.c" (dir: xc/lib/font/Type1/). I
solved this problem with adding '#include "fontmisc.h"' directly in the line
after '#include "fontfcn.h"'.

After that 4.0.2 compiled successfully, and it seems to run without problems.
Probably this will solve your compilation problem, too. :)

I must say, that my knowledge about such things isn't the best, so I can't say
at this point, that everything is fine now! This should be verified by the
maintainer ob this library...

> [...]Really strange. Today I built Lynx 2.8.4dev.15 and seen the
> same warnings. I'm pretty sure there were no such warnings
> with glibc 2.1.3 from Slackware 7.1.

Maybe the warnings come only then if you use a self compiled glibc? Both, the
2.2 and 2.1.3 are self compiled on my sastem, but afaik there were no problems
so far...

> [...]Maybe AMD bug hehe? I have an Athlon... Oh hell :(

I don't think so - it would be typical for In*el ;-)

> BTW, I never optimize my code. It's all built with -O or -O2
> and LDFLAGS=-s or strip(1).

I just gave the optimization a try. Almost everything is compiled with -O3
-mcpu=k6 -march=k6. Maybe it's an overkill, but it's only a large playground for
me ;-)))

And now I wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new millenium :)

|Tom|