Re: linux-2.4 deprecated

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:14:28PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:06:21PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>
> > A few weeks ago, the 2.4 kernels have been declared "deprecated" [1]. I
> > would like to know what does this exactly mean:
> > - That users are advised not to use them?
> > - That we could drop support for them in other packages?
> > - That they will be removed from the archive soon?
>
> It means 1), and should mean 3) as well.  In general, it does *not* imply 2)
> -- we need to be assured of having a clean upgrade path from sarge to etch,
> and since sarge shipped with a 2.4 kernel by default, this means that etch
> packages should at least be functional enough on 2.4 to allow a full upgrade
> and subsequent reboot to a new kernel.  (That includes not breaking the
> system if the upgrade is interrupted and the system is rebooted again to a
> 2.4 kernel before the upgrade completes.

Since sarge carry 2.6.8 kernels we could add to the release note to first
upgrade the kernel to 2.6.8 before the upgrade, but that assume the
sarge 2.6 kernel will handle their hardware (which is probable if sarge
2.4.27 kernel does, but no certain).

I would like to point to bug #353865:
  * #353865: [ati/radeon] Fails to start up with DRI enabled because
    driver is incompatible with 2.4 kernel DRM since 6.9
    Package: xserver-xorg (xserver-xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-4); Severity:
    important; Reported by: Simon Woodward <simon@onyx.net>; 44 days
    old.

I got hit by this bug some day ago: if you happen to have a radeon card
that has (free) DRI support and use 2.4.27 on sarge, the upgrade will
cause xdm to display a black screen after reboot and no way to get a
local console. Since this includes cards advertised at sarge time as the
best cards with DFSG-free DRI drivers, this is problematic.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.