Re: XFree86 X server: does loading the dri module still hose sunffb users?

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 01:40, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have the following in xserver-xfree86.config:
>
>   # server modules to load
>   # XXX: damnit, explicitly loading the dri module is broken for sunffb users :-P
>   db_get xserver-xfree86/config/device/driver
>   if [ "$ARCH" = "sparc" ] && [ "$RET" = "sunffb" ]; then
>     MODULE_LIST="GLcore, bitmap, dbe, ddc, extmod, freetype, glx, int10, record, speedo, type1, v4l, vbe, xtt"
>   else
>     MODULE_LIST="GLcore, bitmap, dbe, ddc, dri, extmod, freetype, glx, int10, record, speedo, type1, v4l, vbe, xtt"
>   fi
>
> This dates back to XFree86 4.1.0:
>
> xfree86 (4.1.0-17) unstable; urgency=low
>
> [...]
>   * debian/xserver-xfree86.config:
> [...]
>     - do not explicitly load the "dri" module on the sparc architecture if the
>       sunffb driver is being used, because of an apparent upstream bug in the
>       module loader (thanks, Ben Collins)
>
>  -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Fri, 24 May 2002 01:26:13 -0500
>
> Can someone who uses the sunffb driver tell me if this is still
> necessary with XFree86 4.3.0?  I'd like to take that kludge out.

I load it explicitly on my ultra10 with creator3d/ffb2 vertical.
Although DRI does not work due to a missing symbol, I don't see any
downsides from loading it per default.
Should file a bug report about the dri issue, but I'm very busy with
University stuff these days. Maybe some other people could do this.

 - christian