Formatting of the wml in the repo

Could we have some kind of standard for the formatting for the wml
source in the repository?

As a translator, I run into reading the diffs, and sometimes when just
a link has been changed in the English original the diff is maybe one
line, but a line containing three hrefs, totalling 240 character
which makes it kinda hard to read the diff and interpret what is actually
changed.

Could we have a standard to try to make text blocks just 80 characters
wide (or something like this)? Is there a good reason to have it wider?
Maybe current screens makes it easy to handle REALLY long lines, but
that can make diffs hard to interpret.

It's WAY easier to notice a changed word (and exactly what word is
changed) in a 80 character line, than in a 300 character line, and we
could even have some kind of policy to make each link on a newline,
which I would find nice and avoid some trouble.

Of course I realise that this might not be possible in all cases, hrefs
can be very wide, and that is of course OK, but sometimes the wml looks
like machine generated code with 300 character line lengths.

Any thoughts?

(I realise that these are vacation times, but such things should of
course not be decided in a hurry).

-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailinglists@gusnan.se
gusnan@debian.org

[Please don't CC me, if I mail to a mailinglist, I am subscribed to it.]