Re: Problem at https://packages.debian.org/buster/timeshift

Hi,

在 2020-02-27四的 08:12 -0600,Richard Owlett写道:
> On 02/26/2020 04:13 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 9:29 AM Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > > I followed the link. And, needing more information, I clicked on
> > > "Homepage [teejeetech.blogspot.in]" and received the message:

> > > Is this a bug or some sort of "man-in-the-middle attack"?
> > > How can I safely tell the difference?
> > > If it is, how/where do I report it? I've never filed a bug report.
> >
> > It looks like the timeshift author used to host their blog on Google
> > Blogspot, but later moved it to an external domain. There is no attack
> > because it happens even when you connect over https. Please report a
> > bug against timeshift asking for the Homepage to be updated to the URL
> > below, which seems to be the correct location.
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> > https://teejeetech.in/timeshift/
>
> I attempted to submit and got a "SMTP send failure: (421,
> b'buxtehude.debian.org: Too much load; please try
> again later')." message.
> I posted related questions on debian-user.
>
> > While you are at it, please also file a bug or patch against the DUCK
> > tool so that this strange form of redirect gets automatically detected
> > and reported. Probably just detecting the phrase "used to be here"
> > should be enough. IIRC duck already has a list of "redirect" phrases,
> > so you could just patch the list to add that.
> >
> > http://duck.debian.net/
> > https://packages.debian.org/sid/duck
> >

> I looked at, but did not really comprehend, the available documentation.
> The first said that duck could be run locally. I attempted to install.
> It wanted to install over 100 otherwise useless packages. I aborted.
> As I have spent >50 years in assorted tech support roles, I'll not
> attempt to fix something I know nothing about.
> P.S. Linux is not my strong suit ;/!

Sometimes I observe a huge gap between regular users and developers and this
thread looks like an example. I have helped to submit the related bug against
package timeshift requesting to update homepage.

Unfortunately the homepage field as displayed in the "stable" suite ("buster
(stable) (utils): System restore utility") can never be updated unless the
Release Team is willing to accept a stable update for package solely for
updating homepage information (which is extremely unlikely to happen,
especially when the old homepage is a redirection instead of a defunct site).
If you need up-to-date information about packages in Debian, please either use
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/timeshift or look at "Sid" suite on
packages.debian.org instead of "Stable" suite.

--
Regards,
Boyuan Yang