notes from the web team meeting at Debconf

We had a small web team meeting today in Curitiba at DebConf.
Attendees: Steve, Carsten, Valession, Thomas

We talked about the new homepage.

- We will disable auto sliding of the photos, user must click to see next/other photos
- The black/white icons are great, we may want to adjust the thickness
  of two icons (more and user support)

News section
- calendar sheets, valessio/thomas think it's to big,
  Proposal from Steve: remove day of week and year
  optional: maybe use numbers instead of words
- idea: try to create a news entry at least every two weeks

Why Debian section
- Move "Why Debian" to the right half, between "User support" and More
  and link it to intro/why_debian === DONE
- on intro/Why_debian put some highlight items (I have 5 items) on the top of the page
  target different groups in "Why Debian"
  - business user
  - home users
  - developers
  - special use cases (blends? e.g. point to Debian edu)
  why_debian is a text from 1998. Maybe I just rewrite it.

- remove Debian from top bar text "Debian Blog" "Debian Micronews"  "Planet Debian" === DONE

For mobiles or other narrow devices Valessio can make a drop down like menu on the top left for kalles design.

- new /community page, put a picture on this page, maybe the DPL with a welcome message
- new /software page, add picture (swirl or desktop), remove CD vendors, pre-installed computer

Timeline
- implement the changes (homepage and the two "more" pages)
- Set a date and give the translators some time (2-3 weeks) to prepare their versions
- write announcement
- merge new-homepage branch into master

Changing photo shown on the new homepage:
We will remove the auto sliding feature. People can still click on one
of the bubble below to see another photo.
We like to change the primary photo shown after some time (once a week?).
Idea: we have several photos available. The wml links to image1, which
is a symlink to a particular photo. We change the symlink without
changing the wml file, so the users do not always see the same
photo. Can this be implemented in one of the cron jobs (lessoften,..)?
Other ideas?

We also looked at the current version of the new download page
Here, a lot more work has to be done. This is independent from the new
homepage.

- explain which image the user should choose
   we need some short text, so the user can select his/her ISO
- Explain what's the difference between the several images
- We had a look at https://trisquel.info download
  this is an easy way to choose
- have also looked at the Ubuntu download (desktop,server,cloud)
- in Debian we have (net installer, live image with calamares, cloud)
- free/non-free variants (e.g. if you have a notebook, you may need the non-free version)
- What information can be put into a hover box or when clicking on "show
  more info"?

download: s/Use your Debian installation/Start your Debian installation/

P.S.: There will also be a web BoF and a web work session during the next days.

--
regards Thomas