Re: 7doc_manuals cron script fails (trying to access svn repo in Alioth)

Hello web and documentation teams,

El 31/5/18 a las 23:57, Laura Arjona Reina escribió:
Hello Debian Documentation team:

One of the scripts that we use to build the Debian website
(www.debian.org), 7doc_manuals, does not work anymore.

Source code:

https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/cron/blob/master/parts/7doc_manuals

It tries to access svn repo(s) in alioth:

svn export --force svn://svn.debian.org/svn/ddp/manuals . > svn.log 2>&1

and they are not available anymore.

Can you update it to access the corresponding repo in salsa? (or give us
a hint about what to do).

I've been looking at the code of the 7doc_manuals script:

https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/cron/blob/master/parts/7doc_manuals

and the current organisation of the ddp repos in Salsa.

I've listed all the manuals that were built from the original SVN "manuals" repo, reviewed case by case, and this is my proposal:

1.- The following manuals show "Obsolete documentation" in their first page of the content, and also are hosted now under https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/attic:

apt-howto
book-suggestions
ddp-policy -> would close #147164 www.debian.org: DDP: DDP policy is too out of date
dictionary
debian-euro-support
meta
network-administrator
programmer
repository-howto
system-administrator
tutorial
user
users-guide

so I propose remove them from the "7doc_manuals" build script and remove the manuals from the Debian website. Then, in the pages where we link to them, change the link to point to the corresponding attic repo and add a note about "obsolete documentation" (if it's not there yet). The person wanting to get the obsolete manuals, can download the repo and build themselves.

2.- The following manuals don't include the text "Obsolete documentation", but they are hosted in https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/attic, so I'm not sure what to do:

debian-bugs (in attic)
distribute-deb (in attic)
dselect-beginner (in attic)
fr/debian-fr-howto
intro-i18n

For now, I propose to remove them from the build script and keep the copy built in May 2018 in the Debian website. Maybe add a README file in the webwml repo in english/doc explaining where are the repos for the case it's needed to build them again.

3.- The following manuals are current, so I (if nobody beats me to it) will adapt the script to get the last changes from the current git repo, and build:

https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/hamradio-handbook.git

https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq.git

4.- The following manuals are current, but the current "make" command in the 7doc_manuals script would not work even if we get the git repos. I appreciate help to adapt the 7doc_manuals script for these:

https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/project-history.git
make -C project-history publish PUBLISHDIR=/srv/www.debian.org/www/doc/manuals install_file="install -p -m 664" install_dir="install -d -m 2775"
make: *** No rule to make target 'publish'.  Stop.

https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/securing-debian-manual.git
make -C securing-howto publish PUBLISHDIR=/srv/www.debian.org/www/doc/manuals install_file="install -p -m 664" install_dir="install -d -m 2775"
make: *** No rule to make target 'publish'.  Stop.

Comments welcome.
Kind regards

--
Laura Arjona Reina