Re: Debian website git repo in Salsa (Bug #845297)

Hi!

On Thu, 2018-05-31 at 06:14:56 +0200, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
> the conversion went well and we have a working repo in:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml

First of all, thanks much for this conversion! This was one of the last
repos using CVS I had commit access to, and a reason I had stopped
committing some time ago. :)

BTW, I mentioned this already on IRC to Laura, but wanted to mention
it here again, because this might be a “now or never” kind of thing. I
noticed the Authors do not include the domain in the email part. Laura
mentioned that there were privacy concerns, and I can understand that
for the -guest accounts, but for the Debian ones, it's just an uniform
@debian.org.

If there's agreement this will stay, then I guess I'll try to provide
at least a .mailmap file for the @debian.org ones, which while not
ideal, at least restores the information for some git commands, such
as «git shortlog».

> Working with the repository
> ===========================
>
> You need to install git to work with the repository and configure your
> user and email (please refer to general git documentation). Once this is
> done, clone the repo with:
>
> $ git clone git@salsa.debian.org:webmaster-team/webwml.git

Something not many might be aware, is that you do not need to checkout
the entire repo, and we can partially emulate what many of us were
doing with CVS. For example, I only want the base files, english,
catalan and spanish translations:

  $ git clone --no-checkout git@salsa.debian.org:webmaster-team/webwml.git
  $ cd webwml
  $ git config core.sparseCheckout true
  $ cat >.git/info/sparse-checkout <<GLOB
  /*
  !/[a-z]*/
  /english/
  /catalan/
  /spanish/
  GLOB
  $ git checkout --

In case you already had a local clone, you can just start with the
«git config» command and proceed from there, the final checkout
should remove the excess files.

This should probably eventually go into a newly written
«english/devel/website/using_git.wml», but for now, people might find
it useful.

Thanks,
Guillem