Re: Guided image selection: POC, RFC

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 08:13:50AM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Am 07.12.2017 um 00:31 schrieb Wouter Verhelst:
> >> First thing I noticed: the cursor doesn't change when moving over the
> >> selection options. The cursor should indicate that you can click on the
> >> fields by changing to the usual hover-over-link cursor (no idea how it's
> >> called in webdesign language).
> >
> > That would be the "cursor:pointer" CSS value. Good point, thanks. Added that.
>
> Great, it improves the (my) user experience a lot!

> >> In general the navigation needs to be worked on. There should be options
> >> to go back and forth in the walkthrough. That's completely missing so far.
> >
> > A back button is actually slightly more complicated than I thought at
> > first, but it's a good point and I should add it. I'll work on it some
> > more.
> >
> > A "start over from scratch" button is reasonably simple though; I've
> > just added that.
> >
> > I don't think a "go forward" button is useful, and I'm also not sure
> > what it should do, so I'm not adding that.
>
> I agree that a forward button is not needed. A back button though is
> necessary in my eyes. Honestly I even think that the browser back button
> should work here. It's a bit counter-intuitive that it doesn't. Probably
> that's possible with Javascript, just need to figure out how?
>
> I thought a bit more about the "disable this screen" button: I don't
> like the current behaviour that it merely disables the javascript
> walkthrough but stays on the same page. That's not very intuitive in my
> eyes. Why not separate the walkthrough and the full list two separate
> pages with separate URLs? I think that would be more intuitive.

Yeah, that's probably a good point. Hadn't thought about that much.

An alternative could be to have the javascript be an overlay popup; that
is, the original content remains on the page, but the selection menu
just shows over that content. That way it's obvious that the back button
will remove page in the back.

There would not be much need to have it on the "releases" page at that
point anymore though. I'm thinking it might make more sense to have it
behind the "Download debian" button on the intro page, and have the js
live there instead.

I'll look at that this weekend.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab