Re: Comment regarding page https://wiki.debian.org/ChangeLanguage

Hi Phil

El 13/08/17 a las 22:12, Phil escribió:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to Debian

Welcome! Thanks for choosing Debian.

and just wanted to add a point about this page.

> If possible, would you be able to add a link to the list for the UTF 8
> codes?

It's possible, and you can do it yourself, since it's a wiki and its content
is created by the wiki users :)

If you want to try to contribute to Debian in this way, please create an
account in the Debian wiki going here:

https://wiki.debian.org/Welcome/Contributors?action=newaccount

and then you can login into the wiki and edit the page to add the links.

I would add https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes for
language codes, and https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#search for country codes,
but maybe you have better links to include.

For the case you prefer not to edit the page (it's not mandatory to contribute
to Debian, although it can be fun!), I'll have a look at the page after
two weeks or so, and add myself the links I suggested if there are not there
(nor other alternative links either).

If you did it, and you want your contribution (as wiki editor) to be credited
in our list https://contributors.debian.org, contact me or other Welcome Team
members:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Welcome

and we'll give you directions on how to proceed.

> Although it can seem obvious what the letters are (two letter code), it
> isn't always the case. For example, I wanted to add Japanese and took
> me a while to figure out that it is actually ja_JP.UTF-8 (not ja_JA or
> jp_JP).
>
> Might even be worth having another page on the wiki about how to
> actually open a terminal for super newbies.

There is this page: https://wiki.debian.org/terminal
Maybe you want to edit it to add specific instructions, but I guess the
actual steps are different depending on the desktop environment...

For other questions about the wiki content, and using Debian,
it's probably better that you ask in our user support channels:

https://www.debian.org/support

Best regards
--
Laura Arjona Reina