Re: Is gnome-core *really* the gnome minimal install?

Op Mon, 13 Apr 2015 17:28:29 +0200 schreef David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>:

Quoting Floris (jkfloris@dds.nl):
Op Sun, 12 Apr 2015 21:14:47 +0200 schreef David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>:
>Quoting Rodolfo Medina (rodolfo.medina@gmail.com):
>>According to documentations, gnome-core package is considered to
>>be the very
>>minimal gnome installation in Debian.  But in my personal
>>experience it is not
>>so.
>
>Which documentation? Without seeing it, we can't tell whether the doc
>is well-worded or not.

I think Rodolfo had read:
https://wiki.debian.org/Gnome

   > >GNOME (core only)
   > >gnome-core package
   > >This is a minimalist GNOME installation
   > >(You have to install all end-user applications later). Above
   > >packages depend on this one.

[note: your quoting method for this wikitext
makes it appear that I wrote it.]
[sorry]

and I agree that the sentence "You have to install all end-user
applications later" is incorrect.

I think it's a case of Caveat Lector because this is a wiki page.

	"There are four options to install GNOME in Debian:"

I'm counting five in the following list.

"GNOME (core only) gnome-core package This is a minimalist GNOME installation"

People are minimalists, installations can be minimal. This one
obviously isn't the latter, and doesn't itself claim to be.

	"(You have to install all end-user applications later)."

Even Iceweasel is a dependency of gnome-core. I didn't know that
Mozilla is a part of gnome.

... so there's *one* end-user application already installed for a start.

	"Above packages depend on this one."

What does "above" mean? gnome-core appears not to depend on
gnome-accessibility, the item immediately above it in the list.
(Notwithstanding that gnome-accessibility is actually a package in
squeeze, not wheezy.)

Cheers,
David.

So the conclusion is that the information on wiki.debian.org/Gnome is
unclear and sometimes incorrect. I've added debian-www@lists.debian.org.
I understood they are the wiki maintainers.

Floris