Better place for "download button": a different approach?

Hi everybody

I think that the download button in the left side or center of the page would be better seen, but today I discovered something that made me think of a different approach.

Two different friends, Windows users, began to be interested in Debian, and both of them told me this morning that they had trouble to find which image to download. I wondered how they had missed the green download button in the frontpage, so I asked them to reproduce what they did the day before at home to try to download Debian.

They both had done the same thing: went to Google, and searched for "debian".

The results page is structured like this (see below for the actual list of results)

-----
1.- Debian (www.debian.org)

Downloading    Security information
Debian on CDs    Network install
About Debian    Getting Debian

2.- Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3.- etc etc
--------

(minor differences depending on the language of search/results)

The point is that these two people (each one on their own, not together) didn't click in the first result (www.debian.org), they clicked in "Downloading", or "Debian on CDs", or "Getting Debian". And they didn't know the architecture of their computers, so they got stuck. Of course they could read the pages and so, but they preferred to wait for today and ask me; well in fact, they preferred to wait for today and complain to me :)

I asked why they didn't click on the first link, and they said "Because there is no "download" written in the description, I wanted to go directly to the download place".

The first link looks like this:

Debian -- The Universal Operating System
https://www.debian.org/
Debian GNU/Linux
Debian is an operating system and a distribution of Free Software. It is maintained and updated through the work of many users who volunteer their time and ...

I have some suggestions:

1.- Change the "meta" description of the frontpage (index.wml):

- Debian is an operating system and a distribution of Free Software. It is maintained and updated .... + Download Debian. Debian is an operating system and a distribution of Free Software. It is maintained and updated ...

2.- And/or Include the green button in other pages in addition to index.wml:

https://www.debian.org/distrib/ (Getting Debian)
https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ (Downloading)
https://www.debian.org/CD/ (Debian on CD)
https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/