Instructions about ports on the front page (was: Re: help).

Le Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 01:48:46PM +0530, Kausik Paul a écrit :
> sir,
>    please help me to choose correct debian distridution package. in my
> laptop there is intel core 2 duo T6570 @2.10Ghz processor.

Hello everybody,

related ot Paul's question, I note that the front page contains the following:

    People who use systems other than Intel x86 should check the ports section.

How about replacing it by the following:

    Modern PC computers run the “64-bit PC (amd64)” version of Debian.  People
    who need a 32-bit system or use systems other than PC should check the ports
    section.

I do not feel particularly inspired; there must be a better wording.  Anyway,
the take home message is that “x86” is less and less likely to mean something
to people.  Despite the ambiguity between PC in general and PC as the systems
descending from the original IBM PC computers, I think that it is less
confusing than “Intel x86”.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy