Re: Verifying Purchased DVDs

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:06:58 +0100
Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

> >http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.1.0/i386/iso-dvd/MD5SUMS is not
> >plain text.  Shouldn't it be?  Neither are SHA1SUMS and SHA256SUMS,
> >but SHA512SUMS is text.  I'm confused.

> They all look like plain text to me. Is your browser doing something
> odd there?

Well, that's peculiar!  Yes, it is.  It is an alpha release of the Tor
project Browser Bundle (TBB).  Firefox, *wget*, and *curl* have no
problem with the files.  (I did try *wget* before I eMailed you, but I
convinced myself that my result was garbage.)

I probably should send a bug report to torproject.org, huh?

When I try to view the file in TBB, it silently shows a blank page.
When I try to save the page, it says it had trouble reading the file.

> Once we release a new version, we move the older images, checksums
> etc. into the archive section of the cdimage site. We keep things
> around for a long time, but our mirrors are not going to have the
> space for them all and most tend to only keep the most recent images
> around. In your case, you should be looking at

>   http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.0.0/i386/jigdo-dvd/

Aha!  Thanks for that.  That's the first constructive suggestion that
has come my way.  It has solved my problem.  I've posted a *python*
script that does the authentication over at:

o http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=106960&sid=91831ea78cb69cdf46fc796bf80427b5&start=15#p510894

> >The visible labels on my disks are 1, 2, and 3.  The machine labels
> >are 1, 2, and 4.  The Russian site at
> >ftp.psn.ru/debian-cd/7.0.0/i386/iso-dvd offers checksum files
> >MD5SUMS, SHA1SUMS, SHA256SUMS, and SHA512SUMS for 7.0.0 that are
> >text along with ISO images for disks 1 through 10, which are
> >apparently for CDs, not DVDs.

> They look like images for DVDs as far as I can see. What makes you
> think they're for CDs?

I was just going by the number of them (10).

> >Can you think of any reason why the publisher would ship DVD 4
> >instead of DVD 3?

> Sorry, no idea. Sounds like a simple mistake to me, you'll have to ask
> them.

Yep, no reply, yet, though.  DVD with visible label three checks out
as holding the ISO image logical number four.

Thanks for putting my Wheezy upgrade project back on track.

--
.. Be Seeing You,
.. Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA