Re: www.debian.org website optimization for handheld devices

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:21:04 +0100 Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i played around a bit with our main page today, to have it better
> viewable on handheld devices like cell phones.

Good idea! :)

[...]

> You can view the results:

and quite good results.

As MJ Ray pointed out, also on my Samsung Galaxy search box and download
box overlap the logos but apart from that the page looks a big
improvement.
IMHO we could create a mobile.css in which remove the left and right
margins from the content (which on a smartphone sounds like a waste of
space).
I also think that for the mobile version of the homepage we'd need to
remove some of the current content: as the space is less (and the screen
is smaller) we need to list only the essential parts of the page.
For example, I'd cut off the spacefun banner.
But we need to identify the essential parts (what the user is searching
on our website while browsing it with a smartphone?).

What do you think about it?

Cheers,
Francesca
--
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint is more