Re: Emoticon policy (was: english/devel/website/working: missing closing parenthesis in cdvendors example)

On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 04:26:29PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> Proposed policy: Let's just avoid emoticon in the website
>
> Hi,
>
> Le 03/09/2011 14:44, Luca Capello a écrit :
>
> > As I wrote before, I think there should be a policy about emoticons,
> > otherwise this discussion will happen again and again.  FWIW, I agree
> > with you, i.e. I do not see the point in having emoticons on *official*
> > pages, which should stay as neutral as possible.
>
> I believe that emoticon can be suitable in personal mail, (e.g. to make
> sure that no reader will take a joke as an attack), but the official
> Debian website (official communication actually) should avoid them.

I agree. Emoticons have no place in formal writing, which I think inclues
the Debian website alongside other 'offical' texts.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51