Re: Planet Debian CSS adjustment

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 08:48 +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> We mainly have the Debian CSS on planet and should try to not get away
> from that too much. But sometimes.... Now, Im no CSS expert, so dont
> know if that is bad with the rest of the css we have (dont think so, but
> who knows), so I CCed debian-www, so they can yell up if they think its
> bad to do so. If not feel free to commit sometime this evening and poke
> me on irc to update the site.

Ok, some more details:

The post that caused this issue has since scrolled off Planet Debian
derivatives. The issue was that it had a really long line inside of a
<code> tag, such that the page was widened considerably.

To prevent that from happening again I would like to apply some CSS to
white-space: pre-wrap in planet.css should do that nicely.

The overrides "! important" are needed because debian.css already
multiple lines for each tag type because some versions of some browsers
don't support pre-wrap and some support it via a custom property.

On www.d.o Debian controls the content so we can fix any widening issues
so I'm not sure why debian.css needs to define them in the first place
though.

Personally I'd like to see this CSS on lists.debian.org too.

/* Make pre's wrap to the window */
pre { white-space: normal ! important; }
pre { white-space: -moz-pre-wrap ! important; }
pre { white-space: pre-wrap ! important; }
code { white-space: normal ! important; }
code { white-space: -moz-pre-wrap ! important; }
code { white-space: pre-wrap ! important; }
tt { white-space: normal ! important; }
tt { white-space: -moz-pre-wrap ! important; }
tt { white-space: pre-wrap ! important; }

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise