Re: Non-breakable spaces on front page links

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:05:11AM +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> I was tracking down a problem I see with the Bulgarian translation of
> the front page of the website. The problem is that the thanslation of
> "Mailing List Archives" (the link before last in the fourth column)
> overlaps with the sponsor logo and is not entirely visible.
>
> The English pages don't exhibit the problem because of the minimal
> width of 11em set on the columns.
>
> First I thought there may be some CSS oddity, but in the end the
> reason was far more ordinary. The text uses non-breakable spaces and
> therefore can't be wrapped by the browser.
>
> The source of the non-breakable spaces are the original English texts
> in template.pot. I can see the reason for using   in the old
> site, where this was used as a way of setting the width of the links
> menu. However, the new site doesn't seem to need such a crude method.
>
> My proposal is to replace non-breakable with ordinary spaces both in
> templates.pot and all the translated template.XX.po files. Any
> objections?

Yes, this problem affects most of languages.
E.g. #612152 for russian.

If we remove non-breakable spaces then it will breake red dotted lines under
columns in small resolutions (dotted line of one column will under other,
while they should be in one line).

As possible solution can be changing min-width of ul#hometoc-col{a,b,c,d,e}
from current 11em to proper value to each language (near 14em or 15em for
russian). This min-with from debhome.css. It can be included in debian-XX.css
(where XX is language code) of each language.