Re: Validation of webwml pages

Le 06/04/2011 14:59, Holger Wansing a écrit :
> Hello,

Hi,

cf. <4D88120E.3020401@tilapin.org> :

>> I moved the Perl validation script to ../cron/scripts/validate (wonder
>> if I shouldn't have put it simply in webwml/ with other scripts) and the
>> Shell script used to create the files in cron/parts/999Xvalidate.

> Or how do people work to fix such validation errors?

The same way they broke it: by editing the source file ;-).

> the output of the validation script is somewhat fuzzy, the mentioned
> lines and characters are not exact, the error itself is on different
> lines (often|sometimes ?) for what I can say. And I had three mentioned
> errors for one "error".

The validation is run on the HTML file, not the WML source one, so the
lines and characters are obviously not the same. When we fixed lots of
validation errors in the past months (others may also share their
tricks) to reach the “no validation error left” status we manage to
obtain recently, I often used the W3C Markup Validation Service [0] to
get a more verbose output about the errors spotted by the validation
script (but of course, you can simply use the generated HTML file to
spot where the error is to fix it in the WML source file).

[0] http://validator.w3.org/

Since I didn't update this thread, but as you may already have notice,
the “annoy translators on validation error” script is run daily, and a
weekly mail for every language that still fails the validation is sent
to the persons listed for the “en” language. When a language is failing
the validation, I add the person who introduced the error to the list of
recipient instead of fixing the error myself, considering that it's best
to let translator fix the error since it might hide other problems I may
miss.

If you wish to add yourself or update recipients for your language ,
you're welcome to update the english/devel/website/validation.data file.

Regards

David