Re: Debian 5.0.8 Discs with Source Code

Dear Victor,

Am 25.03.2011 10:58, schrieb victormmr@rambler.ru:

> [..] I didn't get a reply, perhaps my letter didn't pass the anti-spam service
> or you found my notes not corresponding the truth.

Yes, it seems your mail was dropped by spam filters (at I least I had to
fish it out there).  However, your first mail didn't contain much
information.  So thanks for coming back to us with a more detailed
problem description.

> Here I'll try to explain the problem I met during the search of the
> content of this archive.
>
> When I follow the link
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/5.0.8/source/iso-dvd/ I see
[..]
> However when I open any of the hash-sums text files I see that the file
> "debian-update-5.0.8-source-DVD-1.iso" must persist in this distribution
> as well (and surely it was in the original set of disks). But now this
> file unfortunately is absent on the page I noted.

Yes, due to space and bandwidth consideration (and out of consideration
for our mirror network), not all images for all architectures (and
source discs count for us as a architecture when it comes to the images)
are available for direct download.  See
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#not-all-images.  However, you can create
the missing images very easily via "jigdo".

Please note however, that the four regular iso images already contain
all the source packages shipped in Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8.  The Update
DVD only contains the source packages changed between Debian GNU/Linux
5.0.7 and 5.0.8.  The update images are provided as a service for those
who downloaded the 5.0.7 images, so they don't need to download
everything again, but can just get a smaller update disc.  So if you
already have downloaded the 5.0.8 images, you won't need the update disc.

Best regards,
  Alexander