Listing or not non-free "supporters" (was: CVS webwml/english/CD/vendors)

Hi there!

Added events@d.o and the DPL to the Cc:.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:22:45 +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> The question about listing or not unofficial images vendors should not be addressed
> only to cdvendors@ team but, IMO, we need to involve at least the whole -www
> team and the events/merchandise too.

FWIW, all the Events team *should* be subscribed to -www as well, at
least this was decided back in the past and officially announced (fair
enough, by me...):

  <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/%3c87tyg2g6ed.fsf%40gismo.pca.it%3e>

I have a strong opinion on this matter: I would prefer not to list
non-free "supporters", but then even I use non-free software on my
Debian (Intel 3945ABG), so I completely understand that the above would
simply be bad for our users.

While I think this issue is restricted to installation images, or,
better, "distribution of stuff in main", a similar situation could be
seen for everything using the Debian Official Use Logo (specifically,
everything with the *word*, not the swirl), both because the font and
the logo itself are non-free:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/246784>
  <http://bugs.debian.org/587668>

Strangely enough, nothing of the above is present in the wikipage, but
it is in the main trademark page (linked from the main logo page):

  <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLogo>
  <http://www.debian.org/trademark>

I consider this situation a very bad mess, given that since
6.0.0/squeeze there is an "official" fork of the word 'debian' in the
SpaceFun theme:

  <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun>

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

PS1, my first action would have been to report this as a bug, not to be
     forgot, but then I was kind of lost about the package should be
     reported to.  Feel free to do that yourself or ask me ;-)

PS2, this could be included as part of a wider discussion about the
     relationship between Debian and "distributors", the merchandise
     part of which discussion is at:

       <http://bugs.debian.org/613832>