Re: www.d.o/misc/children-distros

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:42:20PM +0100, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> On 29 January 2011 22:41, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> >> Any thoughts?
> >
> > A comment I advanced some times ago to the -www team about that and
> > similarly structured pages (e.g. the partners page) was to reorganize
> > them with per-entry pages, having the main page which is just an index,
> > but an index with (equally-sized) logos of each distro. The rationale is
> > that distros tend to be clearly identified by logos, and having them in
> > the index makes easy for users of those distro to realize "hey, this is
> > my distro". I'm not sure whether it would make sense or not to have the
> > index page point to the wiki entries of the census; this question is
> > related to the work-flow between www.d.o <-> wiki.d.o above.
>
> As for the logos idea, it is a good one, but we should not add the
> logos to the website: the license to the logo might not be all too
> clear and we might not have the rights to redistribute it.

I think this is overly cautious. We're not 'distributing' their logos,
we're using it as a symbol of their project which is what it is intended
to be used for.

> It might be
> better to link to their official logo location (at their webpages)
> which could, in turn, be used to automatically (i.e. when building the
> website) detect when a children distribution is presumed dead since if
> the logo URL goes down then it is most probable that the distribution
> is no longer active.

On the Debian census page for example, the stanzas about each derivative
distro contains a logo. I know in the Maemo case we've linked to a
'static' location on Maemo's web site where their logo lives so we
minimize traffic to Debian's servers, show Maemo we're linking to them,
leave their branding untouched, and have a marker that their site is
still active. I think this might be a good solution for the children
page also, or at least, its my suggestion.

Jeremiah