Re: CVS and WWW sprint. --- SVN is not so bad with GIT

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 04:30:39PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> David Prévot wrote:
> > Actually, what is the problem with CVS? Other VCS may offer fancy
> > features that are actually useless for the website (use of branches or
> > whatever)
>
> An odd statement given that there is an existing and high profile branch
> of the Debian website right now.
>
> Also, the Debian Weekly News has always struggled with producing a
> newsletter in a system where branching is hard. That they currently
> have to have their own standalone (svn) repository with posts copied
> back to CVS says a lot.

I am all for moving to svn or git if someone finds a time to implement
it right.

> Also, "use git-cvs" is a weak sop to doing it properly. Our experience in
> the d-i team (which just finished converting to git) is that only highly
> motivated or core contributors bothered with the significant pain of using
> git-svn. That pain included a very long initial checkout process, and
> ongoing pain with keeping up-to-date, and not being able to share well with
> others, etc. I doubt git-cvs is much better.

git-cvs is worse situation since commits are not atomic and git or svn
conversion from cvs relies on guessing.

By the way, statement of "That pain included a very long initial
checkout process." is not really true with the recent git-svn. This is
only needed if you want to convert full history and share your local git
repo with others.  If you just need to checkout svn and wish to use your
local git repo, you can do it lightly with git-svn as documented for ddp
which uses svn and its access page mention git-svn.
  http://www.debian.org/doc/cvs#access

 -rHEAD does trick.

This can allow you to make partial mirrors when running fetch...

As for choice between svn and git, it is less work with svn if we need
to keep version check for translation while making local use of git
easily integrated.  But if we use po4a, version check is non-issue.  Git
seems to be better in such case.

Osamu