Re: When and how can we migrate out of CVS and WML ? (Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users)

Hi Gerfried,

Le Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:19:47PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs a écrit :

> I actually don't welcome changes that tell
> our translators technicly: "Thanks for your effort so far, but we throw
> it all away."

I would like to be clear. I do not propose, and have never proposed, to throw
away the work of translators.

What I am saying is that if there is no way to automatically convert from WML
to whichever format makes a consensus, then I am willing to do the work by hand
for the pages under /devel/debian-med. And this for the translations as well,
if we do not change our current strategy. (If we switch to PO catalogs, I may
not be able to transfer the contents, at least without proofreading).

> About change of VCS - there are (minor) efforts going on with respect
> to try out wether git would work as backend. Any help is of course
> appreciated, in any direction. I would welcome any change too, but to
> some degree that sentence has the sounding of "if someone else does it"
> added to it.

I like git a lot as well. Is there a roadmap somewhere, a list of problems to
solve or a sandbox in which making tests, and what is the plan to answer to the
valid objections of the contributors who will lose the ability to do partial
commits ?

Lastly, but not so importantly,

>  How many external links are you willing to intentionally break by what's
>  spinning around in your mind?

I would like to tell, without starting a long discussion, that I feel offended
by the way you express your objection by attributing bad motivations to me.
Breaking things is not my intention.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy