Re: blessing non-profit, worldwide CD vendors

Le Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:00:23PM -0400, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :

> AFAICT from our <http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/> page, this situation
> is fairly peculiar as other vendors are for-profit, even if some of them
> permits CD buyers to pay more and give the difference to Debian.  I
> think that difference warrant some kind of "blessing" of debiancd.org,
> as buying via them would support the Debian project more than other
> vendors. What do you think of that? If you agree, I'll be happy to
> propose a specific wording.

Hi Stefano,

I think that it would be strange, on one hand to exclude from Debian software
that forbids profit because it is not free, and on the other hand to show a
preference for CD vendors that do not seek profit.

One problem is the poor definition of ‘profit’. In the academic world, we have
seen big scandals where the managers of ‘not for profit’ associations were
earning much more in one month than what a ‘for profit’ home business of CD
selling would generate in year.

This said, your idea can be amended by working around the concept of ‘profit’.
For instance by blessing the vendors who financially support free software,
regardless whether or not they make a living of their activity.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan