Re: Using Flattr to donate to Debian?

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:46:20AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> after my recent Flattr FOSS announce[1], our DPL suggested me
> that I might want to propose to setup Flattr[2] on the debian.org website
> as an alternate way to donate to our project.
>
> In general it looks reasonable but it has implications:
>
> - the interactive button with a counter is javascript based, would that be
>   ok? otherwise we can just put a link to a flattr.com page where the user
>   can then click.
>
>   it must at least appear on http://www.debian.org/donations but a more
>   prominent placement would probably lead to more clicks.
[..]
> What do you think of the idea?

There is no problem with Javascript as is as long as it as a valid alternative
without javascript, but:
- nothing appears once Javascript is disabled (though it should be
  possible with some hacking and fallback to static picture)
- the counter has a positive impact on how many users will donate
- privacy issue as mentionned by Holger

A good trade-off could be a cgi-based version that generates a png on
the website itself, according to the project page at flattr (or picture
update at each website build).

https://flattr.com/support/integrate

Regards.

--