Re: Potential www redesign at www.deb.at

On 01:05 Thu 08 Oct, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> As I mentioned on current page on August 18th, graphics size should be
> carefully minimized.  On this proposal:
>
>  *  HTML             16.79 KB
>  *  CSS         about 4.20 KB
>  * Debian logo:      8.09 KB 211px x 150px  <<< slightly big.
>  *  Open logo:        1.74 KB  50px ×  61px
>  *  cropped-swirls:  22.36 KB 593px × 150px  <<<< oops big !!!

I totally agree that the site should be lightweight. It benefits
everybody not only people on slow links.

The graphics on www.deb.at can be further optimized, they are for
instance using png24 with alpha channel which is not the smallest
option.

You should however keep the following in mind.

    www.deb.at:        48KB
    www.debian.org:    85KB

The new site is _56%_ of the old one.
(the above figures are according to Firebug)

The design as described above [1] is a way of achieving significant
graphic effect at low cost.

Striking the correct balance beteen visual impact and weight is
something that needs to be discussed. If a rougher more lo-fi appearance
is acceptable dithered gifs could do the job at a fraction of the size.

Cheers

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2009/10/msg00039.html

--
Kalle Söderman   http://www.kalleswork.net   pgp AEE520DC