Web Page for PAM security compromise

Folks, I'm writing at the suggestion of Don and Joey.  There is a
serious, but rare bug in pam, where a user can get into a situation
where any password will be accepted to access their system.

We're going to display a critical debconf note if we detect this
situation.  We'd like to point people to a webpage where they can find
out more information.

I would appreciate help getting this web page written and finding a
place for it.  I don't feel qualified to write the content; I'm hoping
that the www team plus the people cc'd on this message can help us get
that together.  We would like to do this with some urgency.  In the
interest of full disclosure,this issue has been known since March, but
Steve prepared a fix this week.  Still, the faster we can get that fix
out to our users, the better it will be .

I think that a web page might contain pointers to:
* Why it's reasonable to assume that a system on the Internet with no password will be compromised
* Information on malicious software and botnets
* Information on trying to do security recovery of a Debian system
* Information on resources for commercial and free help in recovering

Here's a draft of a debconf note I've put together ; Steve has not reviewed, and it may change internally.

Template: libpam-runtime/you-had-no-auth
Type: note
 When you configured PAM on this system, you elected to disable all
 PAM profiles.  As a result, any password will be accepted to gain
 access to the system; even incorrect passwords will gain
 access. Especially if this system can be accessed from the Internet,
 it is likely that malicious software has been installed and the
 system compromised.  Unless you are familiar with recovering from
 security failures, viruses, and malicious software you should
 re-install this system from scratch or obtain the services of a
 skilled system administrator.  For more information see
 http://www.debian.org/xxx
 .
 The PAM packaging has been improved and the automated PAM
 configuration tool no longer permits this configuration.  We
 apologize that previous versions of the PAM configuration did not
 detect and prevent this situation.