How to set up a page with gettext (cf. #364913)

Hello,
In Brief:
=========
devel/website/working stops short of explaining how to add/create tags
to use gettext in the website. Is there an explanation or can someone
provide me with one?

What I've found out so far:
===========================
I looked at the webpage and it seems like a *.defs like is required,
where the tags are defined. So in principle I would replace all static
text in the generated page by self-made tags which I would define in a
corresponding *.defs file. I guess some makefile magic then creates
the po/*.pot file used as basis?

Is there an explanation how the parameter expansion works?

Can I use the new tags in attributes of existing tags, e.g. in the "alt"
attributes of included figures (<image alt="">)?

Background:
===========
Currently the vote pages contain lots of repeated/reused strings which
would be a perfect match for the gettext system. My bug regarding
this issue (#364913) was stalled for several years, but now I'm in
contact with the current debian secretary who provided me with the source for
devotee. There a perl script issues the web page for the vote. I try
to come up with a patch which makes these pages i18n/l10n friendly
(and probably quite quickly with the German translation for those
strings, which is currently done by a rather dumb "search and replace
string" perl script).

Next steps:
Once I understood the system and set up a preliminary patch I will
post it here for further help as my perl-/gettext-/wml-foo probably is
not suitable for a 100% solution on the first try, not to speak of the
internals of devotee (which is nicly structured, btw.).

Thanks for your help!

Greetings

         Helge