Re: more translated po files for hebrew

Hi Oz,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 07:47:08PM +0200, Oz Nahum wrote:
> >In others.he.po you translated:
> >"Subscription:"
> >"הרשמה"
>
> >Is it OK that there is no ":" in the translation? Same for message "Your
> >E-Mail address:".
>
> So my answer is yes, I think it Ok, since usually it's in buttons etc. and
> there's no need for ':'.

OK.

> >Why do you don't translate "URL" in search.he.po?
>
> Since URL is a technical word it is better to leave it untranslated. Many

In this case I suggest to use the translation "URL". Otherwise you will
always stumble about some untranslated messages and have to check the
PO file all the time to ensure that no new strings were introduced which
really need to be translated.

> After this explanation, I still would like and recommend this file to be
> used.

I tried to say that the strings in search.*.po are currently not really
useful as Debian's website hasn't a working search machine since some
years (I think I wrote you in the past that this PO file is not the most
important one and can be skipped :-)). I did not say that I disabled the
use of your Hebrew file search.he.po.

> As for the syntax error, I noticed them when trying to run 'make' in my work
> directory. I have to admit that only now I managed to understand what I'm
> doing. So, next time if build is successful you shouldn't find these
> annoying errors.

OK, even I commit from time to time files containing errors. But since
PO files have a simple syntax and msgfmt is able to check this (using
option -c) I suggest to use this feature if possible.

> >I'm now awaiting further translations, especially of the main page
> >www.debian.org :-) Thanks,
>
> I'm basically done with translating this page. But it looks very ugly with
> the current CSS file and hebrew.

The first step is to get the pure translation of this page committed.
Adjustments to fit your needs are of course always possible. It's also
preferred if necessary changes are implemented in a general way so that
also other RTL translations profit from it.

Nevertheless it would be a great help if you could provide a patch/hint
how to fix it in CSS, ...

> I have some suggestions that will be
> relevant also for other RTL languages.
> I'll be happy to put them through to everybody.

Tell us your ideas ...