Re: vmware images of Debian on debian.org?

Hi,

The debian-boot and/or debian-cd mailing-lists are probably more
suitable for your question. Since I had similar thought regarding
VirtualPC, I'll add my comments here.

Basically, the main problem is not to provide *once* an image. If Debian
were to provides VM images, those must be up to date (latest point
releases, etc).
So what you need is to setup some procedure to rebuild those images when a
there's a new point release.

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:50 -0500, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> I was wondering if debian.org has vmware image of Debian
> stable,testing,unstable somewhere?

Also, users will expects the usual variants :
 - Gnome, KDE, Xfce and minimal
 - i386 and amd64
 - for stable, testing and unstable
Then users will want VMWare, VirtualPC, qemu and VirtualBox images...

This probably means that you need to have a pre-seeding file to automate
those installations... Maybe we could also/just publish those
pre-seeding files (??).

> This would be great thing for anybody that wanted to start using debian
> right away, but didn't want to reinstall the whole os on their machine.
> Basically more users using Debian.

An alternative solution might be to use debian-live images (especially the
"USB" one ?)

If you still feel like working on it ( = do the job), I personally think
that's a good idea.

Typically it's three steps :
Step 1 : Build and provide one/some image(s) on your [ISP] server.
Step 2 : Provide the images as unofficial service (i.e xxxx.debian.net)
Step 3 : Those images actually prove to be useful, and become official*.

Franklin

*) becomes official... If the content is actually DFSG compatible, etc..