Redirects from old urls (Re: 404 for help request details)

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 12:37:07PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 09:43:23AM +0100, James Youngman wrote:
> > > http://www.debian.org/News/1997/19971125 points to
> > > http://www.debian.org/doc/prospective-packages.html but the latter
> > > just produces a 404.
> >
> > Todays equivalent would probably be http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
>
> Do we have a good way to redirect old URLs to new locations?

Two replies:

1/ With the current webmirrors' config: NO

2/ With the collaboration of webmirror's admin: YES

See the redirection at the bottom of
http://www.debian.org/mirror/webmirror#ref

The problem is that this list of redirection is implemented by hand by
admins of web mirror, so we cannot update it easily.

To solve such a problem, we could make admins configure rewrite map and
point this directive to a file synchronized by rsync :

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewritemap

--
Simon Paillard