Re: required vs recommended -was Re: apt-get vs Aptitude

Am Mittwoch, den 16.04.2008, 13:38 -0500 schrieb Lukasz Szybalski:
> Just out of curiosity what are the reasons for such a move.

 Your curiosity is nice though it's wrongly directed. debian-www is a
list about maintaining the website and isn't about general user
questions. You might want to mail <debian-user@lists.debian.org> or even
<debian-devel@lists.debian.org> if you think that would be more
appropriate.

 For your information, the switch in apt-get was announced here:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/08/msg00000.html>. I
would expect that the discussion about it happened before that date on
the deity list or even debian-devel, should be possible to look it up in
the archives.

> If I
> understand this correctly required is all the software that needs to
> be on in order for it to run.(80% of the time this is what I need)
> recommended is the other 20%  where there is a feature I would want to
> use.!??!! (I needed that only twice in 4 years)

 Partly true. Depends are absolute requirements, Recommends are packages
that are highly likely for users to expect to be around when using the
package, and Suggests are packages that would be a nice addition.

> So I don't know about other but in majority cases I need only what is required.

 Then see above mentioned mail to how to turn off the default
installation of Recommends.

> FYI:
> digikam triples the amount of software needed to run digikam and
> installs software like (kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer) which on
> gnome don't do me any good but are recomended if one chooses to use
> them.

 You might want to discuss that with the digikam maintainers, reachable
through <digikam@packages.debian.org>.

 So long,
Rhonda