Re: New Developer Locations map available

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 10:17:24AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> In the default view, I think we have too few markers - at least in the
> area I could judge it, that is Europe (it really looks like we only have
> a few people there, whereas with the old map, you can get a good
> impression where the debian-dense is higher).

Without clustering the map is too slow to be usable. The clustering
algorithm creates a grid and uses the large marker whenever there
are more than a (configurable) number of markers in a square. I'll
try refining the grid a bit and upping the number per grid to see
what happens. For usablility, the goal is to keep less than about 150
markers on the screen at a time.

One idea I had was to overlay the number of people represented by a marker
to the center of the marker.

> The other issue I have is that the data is too detailed in lots of cases
> -  one can easily spot which place exactly certain DDs live (I don't
> have a personal issue with this though, because I just gave the
> coordinates of the town I live in which isn't secret anyways).

Is this really a concern? All the public knows is that an anonymous DD
lives within 1km of that spot (actually about .7km east-west at 45 deg
N or S).

--
James Treacy
treacy@debian.org