Re: Website Copyright Licensing project

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 11:25:25AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
>
> > We'll commit these contribution emails to
> > webwml/contributors/license_<accountname> and
> > webwml/contributors/license_supporter_<name/email> for authors who are
> > not committers but own copyright of stuff in the website. [This
> > location/style may be suboptimal; better suggestions appreciated.]
>
> Why not just add a file with a list of people who support a special
> license and let each people add itself via CVS? The CVS log whould
> confirm that the committer is indeed the right person. (If you don't
> trust the CVS log (because a untrusted person could commit under a
> different account, the whole signing stuff would be useless.)

We could just have the people commit their response to the email in
the appropriate location, signed with whatever gpg key they use.

Everyone who is a contributor to the website should have a GPG key;
many of whom should be able to find a DD local to them to sign their
key.

The point of the signing isn't really to verify that an individual is
a real physical person, but to tie the author of a set of
contributions to the licensor of that set of contributions, doing
enough due dilligence so as to avoid punitive copyright damages in
case there is a problem.

Don Armstrong

--
Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
 -- Robert Heinlein _Time Enough For Love_ p251