Re: Improvements of the website

"James Herrington" <james.herrington@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> [...] There are basically two types of people that use the debian website; end
> users and developers/contributers. There reasons for going to the site are
> completely different, so why not have two seperate sites?

I stumbled across a saved part-finished reply to this and it looks
like no-one else sent a reply, so I send it now:

We shouldn't have two sites because it increases the maintenance
overhead and the two sites should share a lot of material.  One big
feature of free software like debian is that users (who are also
contributors, contrary to the above) can become developers over time.

It may be a good idea to have a Users corner like the Developers
corner and be clearer about our target audience at each point, maybe
even changing the front page into News / Users start here / hackers go
there.

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.