Re: Doubts and Ideas

Hello,

with my "CD vendor list editor" hat on:

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 10:25:31PM -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
> >> =========================================
> >> About "Who's using Debian" and CD Vendors
> >> =========================================
> >>
> >> 	It would be possible to have a very minimal system to take
> >> care of those submissions, I think it would help a lot people doing
> >> this job to keep track of what was already included and what still
> >> needs to be done, the system could even send e-mails to -www-cvs.
> >
> > Having an automatic tool would certainly speed up the time into getting this
> > information into the site. There is already a template, so enforcing it would
> > be simple.
> >
> >> 	Could it be written in PHP/Perl using a sqlite database?
> >
> > Yes, why not. It would not be able to be hosted at www.debian.org, but
> > we could point people to an application at say, submissions.debian.net
> > or submit.debian.org, which would be a standalone server (no mirrors)
> > and take where dynamic applications could be hosted.

The current system was implemented by Josip recently, and is a big
improvement over the previous state: On
<http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/adding-form>, CD vendors fill out the
form, the results are sent to cdvendors@d.o in a standard format.

This means that we have to copy & paste the entries into the
webwml/english/CD/vendors.CD file in CVS, *manually* sort the list,
double-check everything works as expected... Finally, the auto-generated
mail needs to be replied to, to inform the vendor about his being added. A
CC to cdvendors@d.o is necessary to avoid duplication of effort, which
increases the amount of mail to be handled by everybody.

Wishlist:

- entries can be approved for addition to the vendors list with a single
click on a web page
- sending an email to the submitter is done with another click. Optionally,
I can add a comment, e.g. why I'm *not* adding the entry. A default text
"you have been added" is supplied by default
- I can leave private comments on why I'm unsure whether to add the entry,
only readable by other DDs
- I need not periodically poll a web application for new entries, but get a
mail e.g. once a day which reminds me that new entries are awaiting
approval.

IMHO, we should not re-invent the wheel here, but use a standard RT system
like bugzilla. You only need to implement the part which takes the supplied
information and puts it on the web pages somehow.

*BUT* actually I'm not /that/ unhappy with the current system. The number
of submissions is usually fairly low, only now, after the release, the is a
certain surge of new submissions.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯