Re: New page: how to contribute to Debian (comments?)

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:06:36PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 12:37:55AM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> > Either I'm blind or I'm missing a page in the website that describes how
> > different people can contribute to the project.
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/

The problem is, that page mixes stuff oriented towards developers and
non-developers. I actually link it from the one I wrote but I believe that
mine is more oriented towards people which do not necessarily have deep
technical knowledge.

I don't think that's a good page to point to people that are new to Debian
and ask "how I can contribute". Look at it, it says:

a) you have to have technical knowledge
b) you have to really understand the DFSG
c) you have to subscribe to lots of mailing lists
d) you can help by maintain packages (and that is more prominent that other
tasks such as doc, web or translation)
e) you can use a sponsor
f) you can give donations
g) once you do this, apply to become an official maintainer.

If I were new I would stop reading the page by paragraph c) or, even d)
My approach is more bottom-up (from several things any users can do to
several things only more compromised users will do).

Just my 2c

Javier