Re: Language negotiation problem

Samedi 2 septembre 2006, 00:49:51 CEST, Jens Seidel a écrit :

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 12:08:56AM +0200, Sylvain Sauvage wrote:
> > it seems there is a problem with content language negotiation on
> > www.debian.org (and also mirrors, like www.fr.debian.org): although my
>
> no, I don't think so, but there is a problem with Konqueror which
> currently fails to support content negotiation (bug #358459).
>
> > client declares it accepts "fr, en" (so French first), I only get
> > english
>
> Yep, you need to define ratings, the order is IIRC not sufficient. See
> www.debian.org/intro/cn for details.

I read http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html and wrongly
assumed that, as ratings are a "MAY", order was significant, but nothing
says that.

>[...]
>
> This looks good. Are you sure you get only English pages with firefox?

Ok. Time to go to bed now: I can't reproduce it. I'm sure I typed
www.debian.org (with my own fingers, not copy/paste, hence not the
index.en.html part sneaking around) and I even clicked on the "free" link
and got English.
I know it worked with Firefox but as it didn't worked with Konqueror (and
a message was posted on debian-user-french about problems with Epiphany),
I was surprised.
I really don't know how I messed up my tests with Firefox.
shame, shame, shame...

> > So why is the behaviour different from times to times?
>
> From time to time? The bahaviour is not static?

I meant with Konqueror:
it, es -> Italian
it, en -> English
fr, en -> English
es, fr -> French

Why not always the last one, or the first one, or English?

> > Sometimes I get the first listed language, sometimes English, or the
> > last one...
> > Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems www.debian.org does something wrong,
> > doesn't it ?
>
> Please a different server, such as www.de.debian.org. Can you still
> reproduce it?

With Konqueror yes. Firefox is OK.
Setting Languages=fr-fr,fr;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3 in kio_httprc
solves the problem on www.{it,fr,jp,de,}.debian.org (and others, I
guess ;o).

Thanks for the quick answer.

Oh, about the bug report you pointed: the poster says he has only
problems with w.de.d.o, not others. Aren't all sites exact mirrors?

--
 Sylvain Sauvage