Re: In tags like <abbr>, which language code to use?

On 07/05/2006 03:21 AM, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 12:36:31AM -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
>>	In one of the translation I'm doing, I found:
>>
>>	<abbr lang="en" title="original equipment manufacturer">OEM</abbr>
>>

>>	Which language code should I use for Brazilian Portuguese?
>>
>>	pt-br or pt_BR? Or just pt?
>
> None of the above, except this is also a Portuguese abbreviation :-)
> As far as I understand it, it should stay

	Hmmm... I checked to other team and I had different results:

	French Team translated it, and change the tag to lang="fr".
		http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha/sys_types.fr.html

	Spanish Team didn't translated it, and keep the tag with lang="en".
		http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha/sys_types.es.html

> <abbr lang="en" title="original equipment manufacturer">OEM</abbr>

	I translated it and I tried to use <q></q> inside and it didn't
work, I just commit a fix, but the main question is the language code:

<abbr lang="pt" title="fabricante de equipamento original (original equipment manufacturer)">OEM</abbr>)

> since OEM is English. BTW it should be acronym, it's not an abbreviation!??
> The language code could be used by speech synthesis software.

	Hmmmm, I added Portuguese and keep the English information,
and I'm still not sure about what I should do. Keep only the
English version or translated it. :|

> See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/abbr.html for details.

	I checked the website htmlediting page (thanks for the link).

	http://www.debian.org/devel/website/htmlediting#abbreviations

	And I agree that it should be an acronym, I just translated it
and bring the discussion here so we can figure out what we should do.
:-)

	Kind regards,

- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)