Re: Splitting up debian.css for the web pages and include quotes

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:41:01PM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:

> Am 22.12.2005 um 10:20 schrieb Keld J|rn Simonsen:
>
> > »text1 'text2'«
> >
> > Alternate:
> >
> > "text1 'text2'"
> >
> > The source is Retskrivningsordbogen, 3rd edition 2001,
> > sections 64(1) and 64(4). Retskrivingsordbogen
> > is authoritive on Danish orthography.
>
> I corrected that not to use the typewriter quotes after calling to
> danmark. Hope everything is fine now.

No, alternative 2 is not correct, according to Retskrivningsordbogen,
(RO01) which is the autoritative source on Danish ortography.
It is even prescribed by law that this book must be
followed in schools and by all public servants.

RO01 section 64(1) says (my translation):
There are the following two main forms: »...« and "...";
less used are the single (nondoubled) citation marks
>...< or '...' (see 64(4). The form of the citation marks are
primarily a typographical question. It is thus not important
if the quotation marks are double or single (cf 64(4)),
if they are placed high or low, or if they turn upwards
or downwards. The main rule is that they have a form that
distinctively separates them from other characters in the
text, and that you also use the same type of citation marks
in the whole text.

My notes on the typography in the RO01:

" is clearly the machine type quotation mark U0022
' is clearly U0027, I looked closely at those two
« is U00AB
» is U00BB
< is not U003C - but the other one
> is not U003E - but the other one

My remarks on using this in the traslations:
I am part of the overall team for translating to Danish,
this includes GNU, Gnome, KDE, Debian, Redhat/Fedora, Mandriva and Suse
translations, and we use the quotation signs recommended above.
We do try very hard to follow RO01, as this is prescribed
to be followed in schools and in public administration.

Best regards
keld