Re: Package search improvements

Frank Lichtenheld said:
> "Anyone got ideas on doing this without replicating the entire page
> structure for each port?"
> This leads at least to two possible solutions: 2.) (one page per
> package per distrib but for all archs) or 3.) (create the pages
> dynamically). And what one finds more "clean" of them both is obviously
> a question of his definition of "clean" which seems to be differ
> between us both. For me "clean" means: It's good structured, easily
> to extend and maintain.

I think the pages should continue to be statically generated: for the
information that is 'worth' dynamic generation I think it's all on
Raphael's Package Tracking System website.

One page per package, and that page should indicate which
architecture(s) the package is available for.  And when I say "is
available" I guess you have two choices: just go by what the package
information says the package _should_ be built for, or (more complexly)
you could find the latest version of each package for each architecture
to cater for some arches being ahead of others.  (You may be able to
conveniently retrieve this from the PTS.)

Even if you go by the first option, I think this will add a lot more
useful functionality to packages.debian.org; adding a drop-down list to
select an architecture for the download.cgi form would then be trivial
and make a lot of people happy.  It would also resolve the problem of
not being able to search for non-i386 packages (silo is the first that
leaps to mind).

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."