Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by alfie: webwml english/devel/testing.wml german/devel/ ... (fwd)

Uuups, should go to list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:35:57 +0100 (CET)
From: Frank Lichtenheld <Frank.Lichtenheld@usta.de>
To: Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr>
Subject: Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by alfie: webwml

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 03:02:35AM -0700, Debian WWW CVS wrote:
> Actually,
>
>   "<q>It's a gross hack and I'm not really happy to have made it, but there
>   you go.</q>"
>
> That's not good, because my mozilla doesn't interpret <q> as <i> but as ".

I sent it in without the quotes, just the <q> (but only because I use
mozilla and saw the problem, no deep thoughts there :-))

> At first I thought that's a bug, but it occured to me that there is semantic
> but the HTML specification appears to say we're using <q> properly there, so
> I don't know what to suggest :)

I don't understand the difference between citation and quotation in
english, my dictionary gives me very similar translations to german.
Mozilla is doing the right thing here:
Visual user agents must ensure that the content of the Q element is
rendered with delimiting quotation marks. Authors should not put quotation
marks at the beginning and end of the content of a Q element.
so i think, we should remove the quotation marks and give the users
browser the responsibility to show him what we mean.
(The "q" element is new in HTML4, so imho the w3c just creates a new
element instead of "cite", because they do not want apply such regulations
like above to an existing element.)

Greetings,
	Frank

--