Re: lists to be created

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 08:33:47PM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > > #149509  - Request For New List: debian-montreal
> > >
> > > 	reject; but list regional on lists.debian.org
> >
> > ack
>
> Put this into lists.cfg, if so what format Josip?
>
> { essentially we'd like to list regional mailing lists of interest to
> Debian people but host them ourselves }

There are so many parse errors in the above text that I don't know where to
start... but I get your point :)

There was once a debian-de mailing list and I think there is now a debian-at
mailing list that is not hosted at our site. Use that as a template.
> > > #162668 - New Mailinglist debian-x86-64
> > >
> > > 	approve; create
> >
> > nak.  There's not been a single discussion about this on debian-devel,
> > This list would be proper if debian-ia64 is the wrong target, and the
>
> debian-ia64 is the wrong target; x86-64 would probably fit a debian-i386
> (or debian-x86) since the AMD stuff is an extension of the ia32
> instruction set.
>
> > port has already started, and there are people working on it. Until
> > that I'd suggest to use debian-devel or debian-ia64 if the latter is
> > proper, which I don't know, but I doubt AMD builds an architecture
> > that is incompatible with the intel architecture.

I agree with the comments about IA-64 being invalid, but I'd also like to
add that there is _some_ effort on an AMD x86-64 port, so we shouldn't
outright reject them. Tag it moreinfo.

> > > #166357 -  lists.debian.org: please create debian-exim list
> > >
> > > 	approve; want to put it into different domain instead.
> > > 		exim@maint.debian.org instead
> > > 	also migrate existing mailing lists
> >
> > nak - why create a list for random packages?  why not using exim-maint@(master.)?debian.org?
>
> I think the principle of multiple maintainers makes sense for Essential:
> yes; and standard and important packages, IMO. For other packages, (X,
> SSH, glibc, gcc, openoffice, et al.) I don't have a problem.

I think exim might actually deserve a whole new -exim-maint list, since it's
likely that there will be two versions of exim in the archive soon (v3 and
v4), which leaves a lot of room for discussion and bugs. :) If nothing else,
using ssh as a precedent.

Perhaps we could compromise with a debian-mta list? Not sure...

--
Joy