Re: Suggestion for http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> why not decribed technical differences in 1 or 2 sentences?
> If there are none I don't understand why there are still two of them.

The only reasons bug still exists are:

1. More minimal requirements as it does not need python and is
   porportedly faster. Less and less of an issue every day as more and
   more people have python installed anyway and cpu speeds increase (I
   use reportbug on my 486 anyway).
2. Inertia.
3. Because its (MIA[1]) maintainer will not see the light that having two bug
   reporting tools is more confusing than it could possibly be worth.
4. Because we cannot seem to work together as a project to make
   reasonable decisions for our users on points which really Don't Matter.
   Sigh.

None of these are reasons to confuse neophyte bug reporters who are
looking for some comprehensible instructions for filing a bug report on
the web site. Except 4 anyway. By contrast, by encoraging all of our
users to use reportbug, we can get more, better bug reports by:

1. Not confusing or offputting them; loweing their time outlay.
2. Making sure they use an appropriate severity, something reportbug is
   rather more advanced in.
3. Helping them find existing packages before filing their bug report.
4. Helping the user set useful tags.
5. Dumping debconf information, other data gathering.

See bug #56804 for a laugh.

--
see shy jo

[1] Last upload: feb 2001. Number of NMUs: 2. Number of important bugs: 4
    Number of normal bugs: pages and pages.