Re: multiple official mirrors

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:29:53AM -0800, Matt Kraai wrote:
> My understanding was the some of the official mirror sites were
> actually multiple systems, alternated between via round-robin DNS.
> Is this true?

Are you talking about web mirrors or archive mirrors?

I'd assume web mirrors since you posted this to -www, but there isn't a
single round-robin web mirror out there.

> If so, is this desirable for the official mirrors in other countries? If
> so, shouldn't the mirror information be changed to reflect this (it
> currently says only to apply to be an official mirror if one does not
> exist)?

Looks like you are talking about archive mirrors.

There is currently only one official mirror address that is a round-robin
DNS record -- ftp.us.d.o. This is done because the US traffic is just too
large. It has its advantages but it is also quite prone to errors because
mirrors get out of sync during every pulse, and coordinating fixing this
would be a major pain.

Besides, I won't encourage spamming mirrors@d.o with requests for additional
official mirrors. :)

--