Re: cometh ?

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:19:11AM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 03:29:23PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> >
> > > I would like English page writers to remind that the pages are written
> > > not only by native English speakers but also by users and translators
> > > from all over the world.
> >
> > Yes, this is sometimes a problem. Uncommon English terms and idioms tend to
> > cause confusion among non-native speakers.
> >
> > For example, the laptops web page had "Debian on the Go" as its title. This
> > was translated in Croatian as if "Go" was a thing :) I can understand why
> > this happened -- the translator didn't know the idiom and the word "go" was
> > weirdly uppercased.
> >
> > I'll make a note somewhere on the web pages about this...
> >
> I would word it something like the following:
>
> Since the Debian web pages are read by non-native speakers of english
> and are translated into other languages, it is best to write in clear
> simple english and avoid the use of slang, obscure idioms and old
> english words. If you do use them, add a comment(*) to the file
> explaining the meaning.
>
> (*) Any line in a .wml file beginning with a '#' is a comment.

This is very challenging for a newcomer (/me). Cometh is my
bad. Probably should substitute 'Woody is On the Way' for that title.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |