Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by peterk: webwml/english/partners index.wml

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:14:54PM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> > but I remember putting had in there on purpose, to indicate past perfect.
>
> The sentence said that Progeny "had created" a commercial Linux
> distribution. There's no need to put a "had" there, it sounds better just
> to say that the created a distribution. Using "had" sounds very "German"
> to me, and since you wrote "that included" I thought it was just an error
> of mixing tenses (sp?).

Well, IIRC from my high school English classes, that's how past perfect works:

      Progeny had created a commercial version of Debian that included
              ~~~
      several feature enhancements such as a graphical installation,
      hardware detection support, and improved configuration and management
      tools; this has mostly been integrated into Debian proper.
                  ~~~
Maybe I lacked another "had" before "included".

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.